Monday, February 18, 2013

Latest RE visit

I saw my RE this evening to go over the test results.  Basically, not much new information came from this.  I still have diminished ovarian reserve.  My AMH is now .31, it was .36 in October so it didn't really change.  All my other tests came back normal except my estrogen was really high due to the cyst and my glucose test didn't come back great.  He classifies me as "glucose intolerant", this basically means I"m in no man's land, I don't have diabetes or hypoglycemia, but I do sway between the two.  If anyone's had a glucose test what you do is they take your fasting blood sugar, mine was 88 (normal).  Then they give you this horrible sugary drink and draw your blood at one hour and then two hours.  At the one hour mark I shot up to 182, which is too high and then the second hour my blood sugar dropped to 38, incredibly low. He said he doesn't know that this affects my fertility or not, but that treating it can only help, not hurt.  The recommended treatment is Meformin.  I starting with 500 mg and will slowly increase it to 2000 mg (2 pills at night and 2 in the morning).  I come back in on March 11th to discuss the next steps, which is going to be Femara and injectibles.  He'll tell me how much and what I need and then go from there and plan out the next cycle.

Speaking of next cycle... I'm in it now.  Too soon?  Yeah, I spotted CD 14 and AF came CD 15.  I blinked and found myself on cycle 26.  He does want me on Met this cycle before doing anything and letting it build in my system, so no treatment this cycle.  DH still wants to try naturally though I'm like what's even the point?  But we will, 'cause as he said, there's nothing to lose.

So, this is where we're at.  I'm not really sure how to feel.  On the one hand it's nice to know I don't have more issues, on the other hand, will anything really work?  If they don't know why I can't conceive, then will this work?  It just feels like I will never, ever see that positive pregnancy stick.

For now I"m just focusing on one cycle at a time or at least trying to.  Right now it's just the Metformin.

10 comments:

  1. I think getting the blood sugar stuff fixed will help. I've heard it can take a few months to get the metformin to work. Hopefully that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple friends that were having trouble...went on Metformin and bam, pregnant. This may or may not be the only fix, but it can't hurt and seems like it's a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the Met helps. Have you had any bad side effects from it yet? I've heard it's brutal.
    Sounds like your RE is on top of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard the same thing as the other ladies about metformin. I know several ladies that had been struggling with infertility and as soon as they added the metformin, that had sticky bfp's. I really hope that this is the case for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, I have read a lot of stories where women have trouble conceiving. Their doctor put them on Met & Femara and BAM! They got a BFP. Even though sometimes we feel like its pointless it can very well be the cause of your body not being able to do other things. Take one step at a time. Like you told me slow & steady wins the race. ;) I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but Publix fills Metformin for free. Also Femara is decently expensive but there is a coupon from GoodRX that makes it less than $10.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear your AMH at least stayed steady and that your RE is being prudent with the reco to wait on jumping into the medicated cycle. I think that's the sign of a good RE, to wait until the time is right rather than rush things. Like many other ladies already said, I hear great things about Metformin helping, and I really hope that is the case with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I already mentioned what I read about blood sugar instability affecting egg quality, but I forgot to say that I remember reading (when I was misdiagnosed with PCOS) about high blood sugar levels causing inflammation. I know it seems crazy, but who knows...maybe your body has just been too busy dealing with inflammation to deal with conception, and maybe the Metformin will be just what you need! It sounds simply and maybe even silly, but it never ceases to amaze me how tweaking one thing can sometimes be all you need. And even if it doesn't turn out to be the magic bullet for a BFP, at least you won't have to deal with such serious ups and downs with your blood sugar! Still, I think it will be a big help all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber- I think this is all fabulous and I pray that metformin is the answer to your prayers. It's helped so many people that I know. I can't wait for your BFP cycle! I know it was frustrating to get AF so soon but just think, you are closer to your next cycle which will hopefully be your BFP cycle. FX!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad there weren't bigger issues. Hope this new drug helps do the trick and your next cycle is a success!

    ReplyDelete