Friday, June 7, 2013

NT Scan-Take 1

It didn't go well. I get there on time and get signed in and everything. The tech calls me in exactly at 2:00. She's kinda bitchy sounding, you know like she's tired and she'd rather be doing anything other than this. I change into a gown and then lie down. So, she comes back and starts scanning. I'm asking questions like is the baby okay, can I see the h/b, etc... She's like I can't tell you anything. Although she points out movements. She shows me the heart, but tells me she can't tell me how many beats per min. I'm like wtf? She does some measurement and I'm staring at the screen trying to get any info I can. I was pretty sure I saw baby measure 12w5d (I am 12w3d). Anyways, then she gets to the part where she starts scanning around and basically she needs to get the baby into a certain position and she can't. She makes me go pee 'cause my bladder is full (um, they made me drink a lot of water). The bathroom is in the u/s room, and well, I have issues peeing if people are right there. I freeze up. So I manage to pee a little bit. Not good enough she's like, no it's still too full. She tries more, does transvaginal and now she's even more bitchy. Makes me pee again and says I have to empty my bladder. I do the best I can and considering thought I did well, but bitch just wasn't happy. Anyways at the end she's like I can't get it. Wait here I'll call your OB office. So, I wait. Finally she calls me and says my measurements are too small and baby is in the wrong position. To rescheduled the appt. I'm freaking out, what do you mean measurements are too small? i was told between week 12 and 13, I am between week 12 and 13. What's wrong with my baby that the size isn't sufficient? Anyways, she sends me on my way. I'm in tears in the car calling the OBs office. Nurse does some digging around and tells me that the tech told her baby was in the wrong position and that the baby's size was fine it was the area around the baby? Still doesn't make me feel better. Anyways, I'm rescheduled for Thursday at 3:00 at a different location since I said no way in hell was I going back to that lady. She was very impatient, rude, and made me scared the whole time that something was wrong. I was crying when I got home that something was wrong, but after talking to my mom and DH I'm pretty sure she was prolly just incompetent or at least that's the story I'm telling myself now.

If you read this long, then thank you!!!  It would mean so much to me if you could just say a quick prayer or good thought that everything goes okay on Thursday.

7 comments:

  1. WHAT! That's horrible of that woman. She should not be allowed to work with pregnant women. Bad day or not, that's just not ok. I'm so sorry that happened. Hang in there Hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I can't even imagine! I agree it sounds like the problem is with her, not with you or the baby. I hope take two goes much better and the tech is super sweet and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the lack of compassion that some people in a field like this have. I'm so sorry she put you through that. Prayers that next week your appointment is MUCH better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Thursday Amber. I'm sure it will go much smoother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How rude of her to put you through that emotional toll. I hope thursday goes much better and you get an ease of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am often shocked at how rude some of the ultrasound techs can be. I mean, I understand that they are not a doctor and can't share ALL that they see on the screen...but gee...there is a thing called class and common kindness. I've had a couple of those techs that had me in tears. And when the NT scan didn't go as planned and we had to see a genetic counselor...I think she was the worst of all. I will be saying some prayers for Thursday's scan. I just know everything will be okay and you will get a competent and kind tech this time!

    Hugs,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely unacceptable! I can't believe that woman is working in the area that she is. Even if she was having a bad day, that was completely inexcusable.

    I hope Thursday's test gives you some peace of mind and that you are able to get great news :) You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete