Saturday, December 21, 2013

The "Birth"day

I should have known....  I don't know why I didn't think realize it before, but I didn't, but I should have known that my Kate Lyn would make her appearance on non other than my 33rd birthday.

Kate Lyn was born on 12/16/2013 at 8:21 am, 6 lbs. 11 oz, 17.75" long.  She is as healthy and as beautiful as can be.  Here's her birth story:



Last Sunday (wow, was this really almost a week ago?), my mom wanted to take me out for the day to celebrate my birthday, which was Monday 12/16.  She figured I wouldn't be able to do much on Monday due to work and just being tired with the end of the pregnancy and everything.  DH was sick as a dog.  He woke up around 3:00 am with some kind of stomach flu/virus and was puking his guts out. So he was in bed and before I headed otu to see my mom his last words to me were, don't go into labor today...
My mom took me to see Frozen, since I heard good things and wanted to see it.  We sat down for the movie and I, of course, had to pee.  I go to the bathroom, pee and then I stood up.  As I'm leaving stall I feel a woosh of water in my pants.  I check it out and I'm defintely soaked.  I'm freaking out a little bit and I wash my hands go back into the theater and very shakily tell my mom my water broke.  She asked me how I felt, I said fine, normal, no contractions or anything.  She said it will take a little bit for labor to start and we should probably watch the movie to help distract me anyways.  So, yes, I sat and watched Frozen, lol.  After the movie my mom suggested we go ahead and eat because once I get to the hospital there would be no eating until she was born.  As long as I was sitting I didn't leak, but when walking I did.  I had a sweater wrapped around my waist and ate lunch.  After lunch I went to Petsmart to stock up on cat food because I knew I'd need people to take care of the cats while I was in the hospital.
I got home around 3ish (water broke at 11:00 am).  I went to my poor sick hubby who hadn't moved a muscle from bed and asked how he was doing.  He said horrible.  And I said, well, I'm sorry, but my water broke and we're going to have to get ready to go soon.  He kept asking if I was joking and I was like, no, this is for real.  He got up and had a shower and I was pretty calm and trying to remind him of things to pack and get and helping do most of it since he was so sick.  I fed cats, put away the cat food, straightened up a bit around the house.  At this point I had shoved a huge towel down my pants as the leaking was horrible.  We were finally ready to go and headed to the hospital.  At this point still no contractions, but a mild backache.
Arrived at the hospital at 5:15.  Their strip test thing was unable to confirm my water broke.  I stayed in triage for a while and the water was piling up so they admitted me after chastising me for waiting so long to get in.  I was informed of who the oncall OB was and that my OB would be there at 7:00 am the next day.  Since by this time it's almost 7:00, I knew my OB would be delivering her on my birthday.  They waited for labor to start on its own, but it never really did.  When  I checked in I was 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced.  By 12:30 am I was 5 cm dilated and 100% effaced.  By 1:30, no progress and I was told they had to do pit, that my water had been broken over 12 hours at this point.  
I tried to do natural, mostly because the thought of a needle in my spine scared me more than the thought of natural labor.  I'm not afraid of needles at all, with one exception, when I can't see you stick them in me.  I'm a watcher.  
The nurse was a complete and utter bitch.  My mom and sister and David were there.  I wasn't allowed to walk around, except for one time for 30 min (which is how I went from 4 to 5 cm).  She kept increasing the pit sneakily because my sister is a nurse and kept questionining thing she was doing.  She also kept asking if I was ready for the epi now, over and over again and getting annoyed I kept saying "no".  Somewhere in the night due to her constant increases of pit, I went from a pain level of say 6 to a pain level of what I considered "10".  Contractions were on top of contractions, I mostly felt it in my back.  My sister had me flip on al 4s while she applied counter pressure to my tailbone.  Contractions were lasting 1.5 minutes with one minute in between them.  I couldn't catch my breath and I was crying uncontrollably.  At 5:00 am when the nurse said, "now are you ready for the epi?", I said yes. I was 7.5 cm dilated at that point, I'd been in the hospital now for about 12 hours and only gone 3.5 cm.  Epi came at 6:00 am, the guy was as an asshole.  He told everyone to just "get out", without explaining it was just hospital procedure.  He was yelling at the nurse, I've been waiting for her to call me for hours, what happened, and the nurse did an eye roll and siad she was trying to go natural, and then he had an exasperated sigh.  I'm crying the whole time, 'cause bitch couldn't turn the pit down for even a few minute to make this easier on me. Somehow I was still enough to get the epi put in.  Relief was NOT immediate.  Guy just stormed out, I'm still crying in pain, and all he told my family was 'she'll be fine in about a minute".  The epi made me naseous, which is typical with me and anesthesia. So demeral was put in my IV as well, which made me very sleepy and I could hardly keep my eyes open.  Around 8:00 am I was 10 cm and ready to push.  I pretty much had to be woke up.  I was in between wake and sleepy from 6-8 and none too happy.  My OB showed up and told me to push.  He was awesome!  He was really nice, calm, friendly, just what I expected from him.  He had me push and kept encouraging me.  At 8:21 on 12/16, my Kate Lyn was born. 
Daddy cut the cord and  was as proud as could be.  I was handed her as soon as my OB finished stitching me up.  I had a 2nd degree tear, but otherwise was okay.  I am more than happy to share my birthday with this perfect little angel.
That last walk in the hospital 


Daddy cutting the cord


Holding my precious girl

New family :-)


Going home outfit


My husband got me this necklace to commemorate her birth.  The first stone is a blue topaz-December birthstone.  The second stone is Purple Tanzanite, this is another December birthstone.  My husband wanted her to have her own.  The last stone is Garnet, January birthstone, for my husband.
She's so cute!!!

9 comments:

  1. BIG HUGE CONGRATS AMBER! She's absolutely perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you guys!! She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful! You worked so hard and waited soooo long to get her. I knew it would happen. So happy for you. Congrats.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is gorgeous. Sorry for the nurse being extremely rude. Congrats on your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect, sweet baby girl! And what a beautiful and thoughtful gift from David! I think it is so cool that you share a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! She is beautiful. I'm sorry you had to deal with those ugly people at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so precious. Just perfect. I'm so happy that she's healthy and home with you. Congrats on your baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO happy for you! Have been following your journey for quite some time. So glad that she's here and healthy. ENJOY! It goes by SO fast. My little is 6 months already! Can't wait to see her grow!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you DH know that tanzanite is now an official birthstone for December, or was that a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete